Intensive care and "Scarred for life" after Benidorm Henna tattoo

807 views

A 29-year-old tourist who decided in his wisdom to have an illegal henna tattoo moustache "for a laugh “was admitted to hospital after a severe allergic reaction causing breathing problems.

Plumber Arran Maye had his face tattooed as part of a Mexican themed fancy dress night whilst in Benidorm with a group of twenty friends during November fiesta.

 

Arran said it began to tingle slightly in a matter of minutes, but when he woke up the next day his face was inflamed and blistered.

He still went out that night - dressed up again as a 'Mexican' after he couldn't remove the tattoo - but the next day his blisters were bursting and leaking puss.

He said: "It was like my face was trying to push out the henna.  The puss was pouring out and my face was huge and it was so painful. I was in agony."

Mr. Maye tried remedies and treatment from a local pharmacy while in Benidorm but didn’t go to see a doctor.  However, the reaction started to get worse during his flight back home, where his airways started to close when they were 20 minutes from landing.

 

"When we landed I tried to rush through the arrivals, but when I got to passport control the guy was being funny about letting us through.  My picture is really old anyway, but of course with your face it like a balloon with a moustache it doesn't help."

After leaving the airport Mr Maye’s friends drove him from Luton to Leicester Royal Infirmary, where he was then rushed into intensive care for treatment.

Comments(0)

Log in to comment